Quation about HZ kernel option

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Oct 4 07:33:28 PDT 2007

Artem Kuchin wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Artem Kuchin wrote:
 > > > What value of HZ option would you recommend
 > > > for a hosting (web) server with a lot of processes
 > > > (about 900) and polling off (as decided from previous
 > > > discussion polling is useless in
 > > > this situation).
 > >
 > > In that case, I would recommend not to override the
 > > default at all (which is 1000).
 >
 > Umm.. default is 100 (one hundred), i think.

No, the default is 1000 for quite a few years.  Well,
except on the alpha platform, but I guess you're on
either i386 or amd64, not alpha.

Quote from src/sys/kern/subr_param.c:

#ifndef HZ
#  if defined(__amd64__) || defined(__i386__) || defined(__ia64__) || defined(__sparc64__)
#    define     HZ 1000
#  else
#    define     HZ 100
#  endif
#endif

Best regards
   Oliver

Passwords are like underwear.  You don't share them,
you don't hang them on your monitor or under your keyboard,
you don't email them, or put them on a web site,
and you must change them very often.