Panic with RELENG_6_2 on DELL PE 4600 with PAE

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 4 07:19:55 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 09:19 -0400, Stephen Clark wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:
>
> >Stephen Clark wrote:
> >

> >>looking at kmem_suballoc which calls vm_map_find which returns
> >>KERN_NO_SPACE
> >>which is defined as 3.
> >>
> >>Why would there be no space when I have 24GB of memory?
> >>

> >1. Any process, including the kernel can only allocate up to 4 GB of
> >memory on a 32-bit system (since a 32-bit integer can only hold that
> >many values)
> >2. The kernel is further constrained so the user programs can get enough
> >memory
> >3. Kernel structures for tracking and using memory are also stored in
> >kernel memory. 24 GB of memory with PAE probably "eats up" a lot of
> >those. I think you'll need to increase kmem_size (see
> >http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide for an example - ignore
> >ZFS-specific things).
> >

> Hi Ivan,
>
> It made no difference. Still the same error.
>
> Is anyone actually using PAE with FreeBSD 6.2? I have found practically
> no information using
> google.
>

> Steve

PAE is an ugly hack that doesn't work well. We used to run PAE on our
boxes with 8GB of RAM (Dell 2850), but found that a) performance sucked
b) no-one really cared, because PAE is bad news and amd64 is the better
option for workloads that require more memory.

We sucked it up, switched our servers to amd64 where we could, and and
lost 2-4GB RAM on those that couldn't. From your dmesg, that doesn't
seem an option; can you swap out for a more capable processor?