imap-uw on FreeBSD 6.2

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Thu Mar 15 17:38:19 UTC 2007

On Mar 15, 2007, at 6:29 AM, Václav Haisman wrote:

> I advise you against using IMAP UW, unless you know your mailboxes
> won't
> grow beyond just few megabytes or that there will be only few of them.
> Their reading and rewriting of whenever you make changes can stress
> server quite a lot.

This is only true if you use one of the deprecated mailbox formats
such as mbox (unix).  However, if you use the recommended mailbox
format, mbx, you will have no problems with large mailboxes.

See

   http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/formats.txt.html

I have little problem with mbx files containing tens of thousands of
messages.

-j