ntpd just sits there and does nothing

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Mon Jul 23 19:15:26 UTC 2007

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> [LoN]Kamikaze <LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de> wrote:
>  > My original intention was just to say that openntpd works just out of the box,
>  > while ntpd doesn't.
>
> That's just plain wrong.  ntpd _does_ work out of the box
> (unless your configuration is broken), and it seems to be
> more accurate than openntpd.

Obviously I'm too stupid to configure ntpd by myself. Thanks for all the
effort. I have watched ntpd do its magic for an hour, now. And it seems to aim
at running my clock half a second behind the server clocks. Maybe I just didn't
watch long enough, I understand that ntpd is trying to figure out how much my
clock goes wrong and only adjusts time very slowly.

> Demanding to replace ntpd with openntpd in the FreeBSD
> base system because you cannot get the configuration right
> is ridiculous.

I wasn't really demanding, but saying that I'd (personally) prefer openntpd.
And my original argument still stands, it's much simpler than ntpd and though I
lack the intelligence to configure ntpd, it suffices for openntpd.

Seeing that nobody seems to agree with me, I'm happy with running openntpd from
ports.