removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jul 20 03:28:27 UTC 2007

In message: <20070719145847.GA36856 at eos.sc1.parodius.com>
            Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 08:48:21AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <20070718170559.GA11915 at eos.sc1.parodius.com>
: >             Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org> writes:
: > : If someone wants to work on this and needs devices/toys (thumb drives,
: > : external enclosures + hard disks), let me know, I will be more than
: > : happy to buy them the hardware needed.
: >
: > Willing to fund the work on it too?  This is a volunteer project, and
: > you have to motivate people to work on this.
:
: I'm one man with a single day job.  I only make so much money a year,
: most of which goes to rent and co-location bills.  Remaining amounts
: usually go to small hobby projects of mine, or donating money to folks
: like phk@ to work on features that I'll benefit from (serial console
: work comes to mind, ditto with BTX fixes).
:
: What I'm saying is that I can't afford (literally -- I don't have the
: cash) to pay someone US$40/hour for programming efforts (especially when
: I know it'd be a 8-12 week job), but I *can* afford to donate a few
: hundred bucks getting someone hardware who has the know-how to fix or
: test things much better than myself.  Most of the time though I'm told
: "I have the hardware I need -- it's a matter of finding the time!"

A total fix would be a lot of effort.  Some of it would be easy to
incrementally adopt, while other parts would have ripples far and
wide.

: Besides working on ports (which I've been slacking on as of late), this
: is how I try to help/contribute to the FreeBSD community.

Yea.  I understand that.

: > The best one can do without massive buffer cache work is what firewire
: > does: it has one attachment to handle all umass devices.  When the
: > device goes away, it pauses all operations to that device.  If the
: > device comes back, it resumes the I/O .  If the device never comes
: > back, then the I/O never finishes.
:
: This sounds good.

It likely is the easiest 'bang for buck' solution.

Warner