Problems with named default configuration in 6-STABLE

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 17 21:21:33 UTC 2007

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 02:01:52PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> 3. Using the root zone as type "stub" should work (even while ARM says
>> it's not DNS standard). But ARM says, it's not recommended for new
>> configurations (I have no idea why it does state that).
>>
>> This is just plain bad advice, although at least you were honest
>> enough to say you didn't understand it.
>
> Can you expand on this, re: why it's "bad advice"?

Someone else already touched on this so I didn't want to repeat it,
but basically you should ask yourself, what's the difference between a
hints file and a stub for the root zone? If you can answer that, then
you will answer the other. :)

Doug