BPF question

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Mon Jul 16 13:16:24 UTC 2007

After replacing Richard Tector with a small shell script on
Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 17:56 , the following appeared on stdout:
> Bill Vermillion wrote:
> >I have been setting the bpf parameter in the kernel configuration
> >file to 10 [I forget which program needed that].   Prior to
> >that I had usually run with about 4.  I also saw that on
> >a 4.11 installation I had it set at 40 for 'nessus'.

> >My config file had this line.
> >
> >device	bpf	10
> >
> >I just updated the system from 6.2-p5 to 6.2-p6, and I got
> >a syntax error on that line.
> >
> >Removing the '10' and leaving the line as:
> >
> >device 	bpf
> >
> >got rid of the syntax error.
> >
> >I haven't seen, or maybe I just missed it, and information that
> >we don't use a numerical parameter anymore.
> >
> >So has this been changed, or is there a problem in the p6
> >implementation/installation? I suspect it has been changed but I
> >have not noticed it.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >BIll

> With 5.x and upwards, you no longer need to specify the number of
> devices required in the kernel configuration. New device nodes are
> created/destroyed on the fly by devfs.

> Regards,

> Richard

Thanks.  I never went to the 5.x series, just directly from
the 4.11 to 6.1 for my servers.  I just thought it was strange
that 6.2.p5 had no problems with that line, but 6.2.p6 gave a
syntax error.  Must be code cleanup.

I'll make sure it's not in any further kernel configs.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com