HP Desktjet D1420 detected by Freebsd, but not CUPS

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfing at broadpark.no
Fri Jul 13 17:32:28 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm using hplip (from ports) with an usb-conected HP PS8250, and it
works like a charm.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:57:04 -0400
John Walthall <jzw at authority.vistua.com> wrote:

> I installed print/hplip and print/cups
>
> I followed the directions at http://am-productions.biz/docs/hplip.php
> exactly, but when I try to run hp-setup, I get this:
>
> error: No devices found.Please make sure your printer is properly
> connected and powered-on

Have you tried restarting cupsd and hpiod, hpssd in the correct order?
Does hp-toolbox say anything interesting if you try to run it?

IIRC, you need a kernel without ulpt (I don't remember if it is in
GENERIC or not), and also without umass if your printer has memory card
slots.

> So, I tried using CUPS own web-interface, no luck, it doesn't even
> list USB as an option, KDE's "kprinter" interface does, but it's

Hmm, I used cups web interface to setup my printer, but don't remember
how (it is many versions ago). I suspect that the printer just showed
up and I just selected it.

Perhaps this page will help:
http://dsteinbrook.googlepages.com/hpliponfreebsd

HTH