6.1BETA3 amd64 doesn't detect my floppy drive

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Tue Jan 30 18:47:01 UTC 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 12:56 PM, Roland Smith wrote:

> I've built a kernel without "device fdc" on amd64 at least since
> 5.4 IIRC. I
> had problems with hangs when accessing the floppy drive.
>
> Haven't used floppies in years, don't miss them. A USB thumbdrive
> holds
> a lot more data anyway.

I build all of my servers without CD and floppy drivers -- I
configure them to build as loadable module just in case, but I've
never yet had the need to load them...  If I could get freebsd to
install from a usb CD, i'd probably order the boxes without cd drives
altogether, as it is used pretty much exactly once per life of server
around here.