impossible rc.d ordering problem with stf and pf ?

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Sun Jan 28 16:36:49 UTC 2007

On 01/28/07 16:40, Alexey Karagodov wrote:
> 2007/1/28, Volker <volker at vwsoft.com <mailto:volker at vwsoft.com>>:
>     I've played with that problems a few times. It's not a perfect
>     solution, but you may create your own pf loading script and place it
>     in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/. To make sure it's running late in startup,
>     use a proper # REQUIRE: line.
>
>     That way (and that what makes me saying it's not perfect) pf load
>     script /etc/rc.d/pf is being run but aborts loading pf rules in
>     first place and later (when rc is working though
>     /usr/local/etc/rc.d/) pf rules are loaded by your custom script.
>
> or just make a symlink from /etc/rc.d/pf to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/pf
> i solved this way problem with FQDN in pf rules

Alexey,

yes, I also did it using a simple symlink in the past but reading
stable@ (or has it been hackers@?) it is planned (or already
implemented?) to respect the rcorder for /etc/rc.d/ _and_
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ in one go.

That means the rcorder is being calculated for both directories in
one step. I suspect when just symlinking an rc-script from
/etc/rc.d/ this might lead into the script being executed two times
in a row. I might be wrong on this but your suggestion is using a
side effect which might not work with all versions.

Greetings,

Volker