Loosing spam fight

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Sat Jan 27 15:50:40 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007 13:39, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 01:04:28PM -0200, JoaoBR wrote:
> > > Greylisting is a decent idea, but it seems to me that it's just another
> > > tool in the ongoing arms race against spammers. It may work for a
> > > while, but eventually they'll catch on and it will only cause
> > > unnecessary delays for legitimate mail.
> >
> > finally some cares about the users here, that is a really important
> > point, how do you justify that your client get the email he is waiting
> > for an hour later? Probably he looks then for a better service
> > provider ...
>
> The standard requires a retry time of at least 30 minutes:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2821#section-4.5.3
>
> But most open-source MTA's will try to resend after around 15 minutes:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting
>
> Note that the SMTP protocol does not guarantee delivery within a certain
> timeframe.

I guess most servers do retry after 1-4 hours

> There are timeouts of several minutes for each of the SMTP
> commands. This means that a full SMTP conversation can last at least 1/2
> hour, from one server to another.

yes, therefore it does not make sense retrying after 10 or even 31 minutes

> In short, an extra hour transit time is not a fault or bad service as
> far as SMTP is concerned.

that is certainly a technical and political excuse  which nobody want to hear
for getting email late, because the common understanding is getting an email
on earth within some minutes

--

João