Loosing spam fight

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Sat Jan 27 15:26:07 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007 13:04, Roland Smith wrote:

> That's not a bonus. Think about it. Sending a message twice will cut the
> spammer's mail delivery rate at least in half.

nobody cares about this, what counts is the hit rate, more you get delivered
merrier the return, that means more you reject more is send in order to get
the desired profit

> > Greylisting is a decent idea, but it seems to me that it's just another
> > tool in the ongoing arms race against spammers.
>
> There is no silver bullit. But currently greylisting seems to stop
> around 95% of spam, and a lot of e-mail based virusus too. See the link
> above.

this number is absolute not true, depending on how popular your mail server is
or your domain names are you get a constant rate hammered into you network
and it does not matter if you use greylists or whatever *rejecting* method

the only real effective method is delaying the connection, counting on that
the sending server is timing out without getting response. A correct smtp
server will wait enough but spammer servers/programms are not waiting a
minute for delivering each message

> > It may work for a while, but eventually they'll catch on and it will
> > only cause unnecessary delays for legitimate mail.
>
> Since the "cure" for greylisting involves at least cutting the spam rate
> in half, I doubt many spammers will adopt it.

there is no cure
spammer will stop adopting when people stop getting horny or greedy so I guess
your approach is failing sadly :)

> As for delaying legitimate mail, SMTP is considered an unreliable
> transport. That is why RFC 821 allows for temporary failures. If you
> want to contact someone about something that is time-critical, you
> shouldn't use e-mail anyway.

people, as normal internet users, which are the main spammer target, do use
email as it is and they do not care about *why* the message is not coming in
but they care about that it is *not* coming in within a acceptable time span
of some minutes or so - which by the way is the correct thinking

--

João