bge Ierr rate increase from 5.3R -> 6.1R

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 25 13:39:09 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 12:07:22PM +0100, Robin Gruyters wrote:
> Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>:
> [...]
> >
> >Set your Cisco configuration to use 100/full, and edit the
> >ifconfig_bge0 line in rc.conf on your FreeBSD box to have "media
> >100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex", then reboot the FreeBSD box.
> >If the problem continues, there may be faulty cabling, but
> >usually errors on one direction are a sign of duplex mismatch.
> >If after replacing the cabling the issue continues, then there's
> >a chance the bge(4) driver may be obtaining statistics wrong for
> >the particular chip revision being used (this is hearsay on my
> >part; I'm just guessing...)
> >
> Ok, I have set the Cisco port to 100/full-duplex and update the bge*
> interfaces on the development server, but the problem still exists.
>
> I have also updated the other server, which is connected to another
> Cisco switch, but the same results.

Okay so at least we know it's not specific to your switch, or
to auto-neg nor the cabling (two different switches + boxes with
the same problem probably isn't your fault.  :) ).  That's definitely
evidence that it's a driver problem, probably specific to the 5704
(since I have two machines using 5750s without this problem).

Looks like we'll need someone with the Broadcom data sheet for
the 5704 to help out.  There's also the Bill Paul <wpaul at windriver.com>
and David Christensen <davidch at broadcom.com> (who worked on bce(4),
but might know of some details here...)

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |