bge Ierr rate increase from 5.3R -> 6.1R

Robin Gruyters r.gruyters at yirdis.nl
Wed Jan 24 14:25:40 UTC 2007

Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>:

>> Is there a fix for it already, or maybe a workaround?
>
> The problem was that the driver code was not properly obtaining
> error statistics from the Broadcom chip, thus errors _were_
> (before the fix) not being calculated/accounted for.  Now (after
> the fix) errors are being accounted for correctly.
>
> So the errors you see in your netstat output are probably real/
> ccurate.  I'll vote for a duplex-related problem or some naughty
> cabling.

Should this not be visible on the switch as well?!?

Here some output from the interface on the server and from the switch (Cisco)

[development interface]
bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         options=1b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
         ether 00:12:79:94:ed:12
         status: active
[/development interface]

[switch]
FastEthernet0/3 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
   Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 000e.84d0.de03 (bia 000e.84d0.de03)
   MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,
      reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
   Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
   Keepalive set (10 sec)
   Full-duplex, 100Mb/s
   input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off
   ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
   Last input never, output 00:00:02, output hang never
   Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
   Queueing strategy: fifo
   Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
      22823978 packets input, 4067576147 bytes, 0 no buffer
      Received 13138 broadcasts (0 multicast)
      0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
      0 watchdog, 12929 multicast, 0 pause input
      15673035 packets output, 3975127029 bytes, 0 underruns
      0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
      0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output
[/switch]

Regards,

Robin