6.2 Release - Adaptec 2130SLP driver?? issue - aac driver

LI Xin delphij at delphij.net
Fri Jan 19 16:54:20 UTC 2007

Jeff Royle wrote:
>> I could use some advice on this issue I have had with my raid controller.
>> I am not really running much on the system yet, postfix, Pf + pflogd,
>> rlogind, ssh, bsnmp and ntpd.  While I was just reading a file with
>> less the system stopped responding.   I thought it was the network
>> interfaces but I was able to ping the interface. Once I plugged a
>> monitor into the system I saw this (roughly):
>>
>> AAC0: COMMAND <SOME HEX> TIMEOUT AFTER X number of seconds
>>
>> Not good :)
>>
>> Reset of the system resolved the issue and it booted fine.    Since
>> the controller stopped responding nothing was recorded to my logs.
>>
>> Now I have to figure out how to prevent that from happening again.
>>
>> Basic run down on the system and some history...
>>
>> P4 3.2Ghz
>> Asus P5MT-S MB
>> 2 x 1GB DDR2 667 memory
>> Adaptec 2130SLP Raid Controller + battery backup module
>> 2 Segate Ultra320 73GB 15k RPM (mirrored)
>>
>> I have run this same system hardware testing 6.2-BETA3, RC-1 and RC-2
>> without this issue.    I was using the driver released by Adaptec
>> while testing the pre-release installs
>> (http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/raid/aac/unix/aacraid_freebsd6_drv_b11518_tgz.htm).
>> You could say I am fairly confidient in the hardware itself.   I have
>> put this system through a lot of testing since BETA3.
>>
>> The 6.2 release kernel has not been customized all that much, I just
>> pulled out all the drivers I would never use.    To be safe I kept
>> just about all scsi devices/card models still in as I continued my
>> testing of 6.2 release. Right now I am going to try taking out aac and
>> aacp then try the driver I used in my previous tests.    However,
>> since I have run a week without this issue it will be hard/impossible
>> tell if this did anything to resolve it...I almost want a crash on the
>> old driver :)
>>
>> So I need some advice...  How best do I debug this issue?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any direction you guys can offer me.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> It appears the driver I was using in my pre-release testing is newer
> then the release driver.
>
> Stock driver in 6.2r dmesg:
>
> aac0: <Adaptec SCSI RAID 2130S> mem
> 0xfc600000-0xfc7fffff,0xfc5ff000-0xfc5fffff irq 24 at device 1.0 on pci2
> aac0: New comm. interface enabled
> aac0: Adaptec Raid Controller 2.0.0-1
> aacp0: <SCSI Passthrough Bus> on aac0
>
> Currently using:
>
> aacu0: <Adaptec SCSI RAID 2130S> mem
> 0xfc600000-0xfc7fffff,0xfc5ff000-0xfc5fffff irq 24 at device 1.0 on pci2
> aacu0: New comm. interface enabled
> aacu0: Adaptec Raid Controller 2.0.7-1
> aacpu0: <SCSI Passthrough Bus> on aacu0
>
> Going to continue testing with the newer driver.

I have some preliminary work on merging the Adaptec driver:

http://people.freebsd.org/~delphij/for_review/patch-aac-vendor-b11518

But one of the reviewers has advised me to request boarder testing,
especially against old cards and CLI tools, so I have hold the commit
for now.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/