6.2 Release - Adaptec 2130SLP driver?? issue - aac driver

Jeff Royle lists at qwirky.net
Fri Jan 19 14:43:38 UTC 2007

I could use some advice on this issue I have had with my raid controller.

I am not really running much on the system yet, postfix, Pf + pflogd,
rlogind, ssh, bsnmp and ntpd.  While I was just reading a file with less
the system stopped responding.   I thought it was the network interfaces
but I was able to ping the interface.

Once I plugged a monitor into the system I saw this (roughly):

AAC0: COMMAND <SOME HEX> TIMEOUT AFTER X number of seconds

Not good :)

Reset of the system resolved the issue and it booted fine.    Since the
controller stopped responding nothing was recorded to my logs.

Now I have to figure out how to prevent that from happening again.

Basic run down on the system and some history...

P4 3.2Ghz
Asus P5MT-S MB
2 x 1GB DDR2 667 memory
Adaptec 2130SLP Raid Controller + battery backup module
2 Segate Ultra320 73GB 15k RPM (mirrored)

I have run this same system hardware testing 6.2-BETA3, RC-1 and RC-2
without this issue.    I was using the driver released by Adaptec while
testing the pre-release installs
(http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/raid/aac/unix/aacraid_freebsd6_drv_b11518_tgz.htm).
You could say I am fairly confidient in the hardware itself.   I have
put this system through a lot of testing since BETA3.

The 6.2 release kernel has not been customized all that much, I just
pulled out all the drivers I would never use.    To be safe I kept just
about all scsi devices/card models still in as I continued my testing of
6.2 release.

Right now I am going to try taking out aac and aacp then try the driver
I used in my previous tests.    However, since I have run a week without
this issue it will be hard/impossible tell if this did anything to
resolve it...I almost want a crash on the old driver :)

So I need some advice...  How best do I debug this issue?

Thanks in advance for any direction you guys can offer me.

Cheers,

Jeff