Failover-HA-Setup

Richard lists at leewelle.de
Thu Jan 18 08:47:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 19:48 +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
> > Am Mittwoch, den 17.01.2007, 16:08 +0200 schrieb Nikos Vassiliadis:
>
> >> I remember that heartbeat can call any script you it tell to.
> >> So, you have to let heartbeat start MySQL. rc will just start
> >> heartbeat.
> > Yes, you are right, and exactly that was my problem. It didn't start.
>
> Hmm, do you have more information - in which way did it fail? rc.d
> scripts (including those for mysql) bring in variables via rc.subr:
>
> ----
> #
> # Add the following line to /etc/rc.conf to enable mysql:
> # mysql_enable (bool):  Set to "NO" by default.
>
> Are you saying this part has failed, or that you don't have the proper
> variables in /etc/rc.conf?

If the variable mysql_enable is set in '/etc/rc.conf', mysql is started
on both nodes at startup, it it is not there (and the passive node won't
work due to the lack of mounted diskspace), heartbeat call
'/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start' and nothing happens. I got
around this problem by writing my own startup-scripts not using those
Variables. I thought that there might be a much nicer solution, but a
failover configuration working with FreeBSD seems not to be that
widespread as it is under Linux. (Yes, there are many
firewall-implementations using carp, but would that work for services
like mysql or samba too?)

Richard