Failover-HA-Setup

Tom Samplonius tom at samplonius.org
Wed Jan 17 23:04:33 UTC 2007

----- Mark Saad <msaad at datapipe.com> wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:
> > Dmitriy Kirhlarov wrote:

> between?
> >> You can use gmirror(8) with ggated(8).
> >
> > I think his problem is that you can't have two machines RW mounting
> the
> > same device (doesn't matter if it's FC, ggate or other...). So when
> one
> > machine fails, the other must mount the file system and THEN start
> > daemons...
> >

> This is kind of a side topic but does anyone know of a on disk
> clustered
> file system for FreeBSD; like OCFS2 or GFS . Both which would allow
> you
> to have more then one box attached read / write to the same scsi or fc
>
> storage array ?

  I don't believe there are any.

  Additionally, I don't believe any of the clustered file systems would be usable for a database backend.  Because the application does not know that another instance is also updating, so you would have to start only one instance at a time.  So the locking overhead of a clustered filesystem isn't worth it for databases.