bge panic (Re: Not panic in nfsd (Re: panic in nfsd on 6.2-RC1))

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Jan 15 20:25:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:03:28PM -0500, Sven Willenberger wrote:

> > > I suspect the driver: This same hardware setup was being used as a
> > > databse server with FreeBSD 5.4. I had been using the bge driver but set
> > > at base100T without any issue at all. It was when I did a clean install
> > > of 6.2-Prerelease and setting bge to use the full gigE speed (via
> > > autonegotiate) that these issues cropped up.
> >
> > Be careful before you start blaming FreeBSD - since you did not test
> > the failing hardware configuration in the older version of FreeBSD you
> > cannot yet determine that it is a driver regression.
> >
> > Kris
>
> I will freely admit that this may be circumstantial, that the hardware
> failed at the same time I upgraded to the newer version of FreeBSD. It
> could also be that there is an issue with the bge driver being used with
> 1000 (gigE) speeds instead of at fastE speeds as I used it with the 5.4
> release (same hardware).

The latter is what I am referring to.  Your hardware may never have
worked in gige mode due to your hardware being broken (yes, this
happens), or it could be a freebsd driver issue either introduced in
6.x or present in 5.4 too.  You just haven't ruled these cases out.

Anyway, since you're happy with your present workaround we'll have to
just drop the issue for now.

Kris