2.4TB disk - MBR and GPT coexist?

Michael Hall mhall at riverside.org
Fri Jan 12 07:15:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 10:28:29PM -0800, Jo Rhett wrote:

> >>Please enlighten me.  I see no such options in the BIOS menu.
> >
> >I've done it in 3DM2, but look at pages 23+24 (printed page
> >numbers) here and the stuff regarding setting up a seperate boot
> >volume:
> >
> >http://www.3ware.com/support/UserDocs/3ware9590SEUsrGuide.pdf
>
> Those are CLI functions.  Which means you have to boot to run the
> CLI, so cart->horse.
>
> Sorry for being terse, but I have to solve the boot problem which is
> what started this conversation.

Why not use 3BM (3Ware BIOS Manager) to setup the RAID. Create the
RAID with it, specify a boot volume, turn off autocarving, so it
creates two units (one smaller boot volume, and all the rest it a
large unit). Setp the smaller unit like normal (fdisk, newfs, etc)
and setup the larger unit with GPT.

Using 3BM avoids the cart->horse issue with 3DM2/CLI.

--
I saw Elvis! He sat between me and BigFoot in the UFO!

Mike Hall
San Juan Island, WA

System Admin - Rock Island Communications           <mikeh at rockisland.com>
System Admin - riverside.org, ssdd.org              <mhall at riverside.org>