if_bridge / ath - ether type 5e4 flags 3 len 1522 > max 1514

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Fri Jan 12 01:13:33 UTC 2007

an ath wl card stops definitely working after showing this messages:

kernel: ath0: discard oversize frame ether type 5e4 flags 3 len 1522 > max
1514

seems this packages are then beeing held in the ath tx buffer, filling it up,
what then depending on the rate or quantity brings the ath card down, soon or
later, only way getting it back is by reboot

this is when running in hostap mode and under if_bridge (with or w/o stp)

If I am not wrong a mac frame can be 1518 when untagged or 1522 when tagged

Now, I am wondering why the ath driver discards such packages when they appear
to be of valid size

Also, if I am not wrong, who should discard the package if oversized is the
bridge but not the interface

--

João