2.4TB disk - MBR and GPT coexist?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Thu Jan 11 23:55:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:56:43 -0800
Jo Rhett <jrhett at svcolo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  The problem is that I have a single 6-drive
> (550gb/ea) RAID-5 array.  If I split two disks off to make a RAID-1
> boot device, I'll lose 1TB of usable storage.

Hmm, why can't you just make your controller create two logical arrays
onto the one physical array?
Doesnt the controller support this feature?
(Don't shoot me, I'm not a RAID controller expert, I'm just asking)

> Since we're going to be stuck with old BIOSes for a long time after
> 2TB is a cheap disk drive at [store], is anyone considering doing
> the work to make GPT co-exist with an MBR block?  It seems like the
> obvious and sensible choice.  You boot from the MBR partition, and
> then load the GPT module and access the remaining data after that...

Is there a reason why we can't have a boot loader that boots off a GPT
disk? Or is the problem with the bios?
(again, I'm just asking....)
--
Regards,