running mksnap_ffs

Scott Oertel freebsd at scottevil.com
Thu Jan 11 13:40:24 PST 2007

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 11:25:34AM -0800, Scott Oertel wrote:
>
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> Yes :) Snapshots were not designed for use in this way (they were
>>> designed to support background fsck and allow faster system recovery
>>> after power failure), so they don't scale as well as you might like on
>>> large filesystems.
>>>
>>> Kris
>>>

>> If snapshots were designed to support background fsck, then why did they
>> not make it more scalable? If you can't create a snapshot without the
>> system locking up, that means fsck won't be able to either, making
>> background fsck worthless for systems with large storage.
>>

> locking up != taking a long time to complete.  You haven't
> differentiated between those two situations yet.
>
> Kris

It depends, sometimes it just takes a really long time during which the
system is unresponsive and unstable, or it just completely locks up.
Does it make that much of a difference? in either case, snapshotting
large drives is not very efficient, and can't be considered for
background fsck, or daily backup. Which are the two main purposes of
snapshots.

--Scott