make buildworld is always braking at various points

Christoph Illnar illnar at communitor.com
Sun Jan 7 17:02:47 UTC 2007

Hello list,

I keep having troubles compiling either 6.1-RELEASE and 6.2-RC2.
I downloaded sources, extracted them with install.sh and did a cvsup.

My installed system is 6.1-RELEASE and I keep trying to compile it on my
own.

Playing with various parameters did not help neither helped switching to
the sources of 6.2-RC2.

My compilation system is a P4-550 with 2G RAM running on an Asus P5P800.

This is my /etc/make.conf:
----
PERL_VER=5.8.8
PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
SUP_UPDATE=yes
SUP=/usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=-L 1
SUPHOST=cvsup.at.freebsd.org
SUPFILE=/home/franz/cvsupfile
CPUTYPE=pentium4
KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
NO_ATM=true            # do not build ATM related programs and libraries
NO_BLUETOOTH=true      # do not build Bluetooth related stuff
NO_FORTRAN=true        # do not build g77 and related libraries
NO_GAMES=true          # do not build games (games/ subdir)
NO_GDB=true            # do not build GDB
NO_I4B=true            # do not build isdn4bsd package
NO_INET6=true          # do not build IPv6 related programs and
NO_IPFILTER=true       # do not build IP Filter package
NO_KERBEROS=true       # do not build and install Kerberos 5 (KTH
NO_NIS=true
NO_PROFILE=true        # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
NO_SENDMAIL=true       # do not build sendmail and related programs
PPP_NO_NAT=true        # do not build with NAT support (see
PPP_NO_NETGRAPH=true   # do not build with Netgraph support
PPP_NO_RADIUS=true     # do not build with RADIUS support
NO_BIND_LIBS_LWRES=true    # Do not install the lwres library
----

Some exclusions resulted from the buildworld being broken up there.

This is my /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL:
----
machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           MY-P4-SMP
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor
options         MPTABLE_FORCE_HTT       # Enable HTT CPUs with the MP
options         IPI_PREEMPTION
options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread
options         INET                    # InterNETworking
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates
options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big
options         MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
options         NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_GPT                # GUID Partition Tables.
options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
options         SCSI_DELAY=5000
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in
options         AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in
options         ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.
options         SC_DISABLE_REBOOT
device          apic                    # I/O APIC
device          eisa
device          pci
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse
device          kbdmux          # keyboard multiplexer
device          vga             # VGA video card driver
device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support
device          sc
device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets
device          pmtimer
device          sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
device          nve             # nVidia nForce MCP on-board Ethernet
device          sk              # SysKonnect SK-984x & SK-982x gigabit
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          random          # Entropy device
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter
device          pf
device          pflog
device          pfsync
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ums             # Mouse
----

when on 6.2-RC2 sources I do a
# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
it breaks with these last lines:
----
[.......... lines suppressed ......]

building shared library libpmc.so.3
===> lib/libpthread (all)

[.......... lines suppressed ......]

cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -march=pentium4 -DPTHREAD_KERNEL
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/../libc/include
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/../../include
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/arch/i386/include
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/sys
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/../../libexec/rtld-elf
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/../../libexec/rtld-elf/i386 -fno-builtin
-D_LOCK_DEBUG -D_PTHREADS_INVARIANTS -Wall
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/../libc/i386  -c
/usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_condattr_init.c

cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -march=pentium4 -DPTHREAD_KERNEL
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/../libc/include
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/../../include
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/arch/i386/include
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/sys
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/../../libexec/rtld-elf
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/../../libexec/rtld-elf/i386 -fno-builtin
-D_LOCK_DEBUG -D_PTHREADS_INVARIANTS -Wall
-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/../libc/i386  -c
/usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_condattr_pshared.c

make: don't know how to make
/usr/src.lib/libpthread/arch/i386/include/pthread_md.h. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/src/lib.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
----

As I am new to BSD it is perhaps just a little hint that would help.
Unfortunately neither RTFM nor a good book have been helpful so far...