win32-codecs question ...

David Syphers dsyphers at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 5 05:28:21 UTC 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 13:39, Freddie Cash wrote:
> If a port supports the OPTION framework, then the first time you run make
>
> This is all nicely documented in the ports(7) man page.

Where I wouldn't think to look unless I knew something had changed, or
something failed to build with a "look at ports(7)" error.

> And there were a bunch of head's ups on the -ports mailing list

Which I don't read... I don't think I was subscribed to this even back when I
read -current, -cvs-all, -hackers, -ipfw, -mobile, -questions, -security,
and -stable.

> I believe there's also a blurb about this in the handbook.

I haven't read the handbook on ports since the 1990's. I'm just a poster child
for all that the doc people hate, aren't I?  :)

> And a mention of it in /usr/ports/UPDATING
> and/or /usr/ports/CHANGES.

Now, this I read. And no, it's not documented there. The only mentions in
UPDATING are under postfix entries, and I don't use postfix. The entries in
CHANGES wouldn't catch your eye unless you knew what you were looking for -
everything assumes prior knowledge of what OPTIONS is and what it implies.

Nonetheless, I am now enlightened. And I feel like an old fogey even though
I'm not even 30  :)

-David

--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand.