Cannot obtain kernel dump in /var/crash

Alexander Shikoff minotaur at crete.org.ua
Thu Feb 22 14:13:35 UTC 2007

Hello,

funny questions for me as I'm not a newbie in FreeBSD... ;) But
I'll answer.

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 05:22:24AM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Is /dev/ad2s1b the correct location?  Possibly you meant ad0s1b
> or some other adX device?  (Common mistake.)
/home/minotaur>ls -l /dev/ad2s1b
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  82 22 лют 13:40 /dev/ad2s1b

/home/minotaur>ls -l /dev/dumpdev
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  11 22 лют 15:40 /dev/dumpdev -> /dev/ad2s1b

> Do you have a swap device defined, particularly in /etc/fstab?o
> What does swapinfo say?
/home/minotaur>swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/ad2s1b       1048576        0  1048576     0%

> Does the same happen if you say dumpdev="auto" or if you remove
> the -f flag from savecore_flags?
The same behavior.

> It may be worth peeking through /etc/rc.d/dumpon and imitating
> some of the commands there to see if you can reproduce it.

/etc/rc.d/dumpon creates symbolic link /dev/dumpdev. It's present in
my /dev directory. I think a problem is somewhere deeply, probably
with savecore(8). When a panic occurs I see in console process of
dumping (size of RAM, number of pages, dump device etc.) and it's
completely normal.

--
Kind Regards,	Alexander Shikoff
minotaur at crete.org.ua