Supported graphics card on X11.

Paulette McGee paulette_mcgee at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 17:39:18 UTC 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_Graphics_Processing_Units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_NVIDIA_Graphics_Processing_Units

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=radeon&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=nv&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html

> 3) Match up the driver to the chip set on the card.
>
> 4) Always double check the reference material for
> the
> chip sets listed in step 1.
>
> PS: tomshardware.com gives good reviews of video
> cards; with the added bonus of listing the chip sets
> that is used in the card (typically).
>
> Hopefully this should give you a starting point.
> Regards,
>
> Paulette McGee

Sorry, I forgot to mention about the choices hardware
ie:
AGP, PCIe (PCI Express), Integrated.

1) AGP = works great; in my humble opinion.
2) PCIe = not sure about the status of PCIe on FreeBSD
3) Integrated = Depends on the chip set.

PS: The proprietary drivers support more chip sets
with 3d acceleration.  Depending on your video card:
a) chip set
b) driver support (proprietary vs open source)
c) Hardware interface (AGP, PCIe, Integrated).

The 3 items listed above may steer the decision making
process for drivers and or cards.

Sorry to all for replying to my own message.
Paulette McGee