getting garbage faster using FreeBSD?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Wed Feb 21 16:06:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:58:14 +0100
Wilko Bulte <wb at freebie.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I once had business with a customer from the military who wanted to
> permanently decommision some disks.  I proposed a main battle tank.
> And, apparantly they saw the fun in that, they reported back that
> gently rolling one over a disk indeed does the trick nicely.

When I worked in the Army, the procedures for data destruction varied
by classification of the information.
For the top items, the rule was as follows
- hard drives has to be dismantled, and the platters cut or ground until
all particles are smaller than "x" millimeters in size (I don't
remember the size), then the particles has to be burnt, with some
specified temperature (which I cn't remember now)
- tape has to be burnt, also with a specified temperature

Needless to say, we cooperated with the munitions department, which
regularly burnt old ammo. At 1200 degrees centigrade we were well
inside the specified temperature.

--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,