pppd crashes, was: kde-freebsd] Question about KPPP on FreeBSD

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Sun Feb 18 20:51:09 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=109277
>>
>> The problem looks like a lack of proper locking during the operations with
>> clist (specifically, this causes multiple entry to cblock_alloc()).
>> I'm ready to provide further debugging information on this issue.
>> Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the locking concepts
>> in modern FreeBSD kernels (and in tty subsystem particularly)
>> in order to make the fix myself.
>
> ...and that's the problem :) You could do this additional work, but
> you'd be wasting your time.

   I don't believe that nobody _knows_ how to serialize clist-related work
within ppp(4) properly. I would rather believe that nobody (at least,
among the src-commiters) _cares_ about it. Well, given the presence of
working alternatives to ppp(4), this situation seems to be quite explainable.
OTOH I still think that my PR could be useful in two aspects: 1) it clearly
documents ppp(4) as broken in it's current state so wise people won't use
it in production environment; 2) it can be useful for some hypothetical
courageous person who will try to fix the problem.

> Kris

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator