Desired behaviour of "ifconfig -alias"

Brooks Davis brooks at FreeBSD.ORG
Mon Feb 12 19:27:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:07:39AM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:59:40AM -0600, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > What do you need to set?  It's sets IP and netmask.  It doesn't handle
> > broadcast, but I'd be pretty suprised if that's needed often.  What else
> > is needed?  Axing ifconfig_iface_aliasX is not needed, but reducing the
> > visiability of the interface in the documentation is probably in order
> > particularly since it's quite fragile since you have to renumber whenever
> > you remove an entry.
>
> Does it support media and mediaopt arguments?  These are very
> commonly used.  I also rely on this, for what it's worth:
>
> openvpn_enable="yes"
> openvpn_configfile="/conf/ME/openvpn/openvpn.conf"
> openvpn_dir="/conf/ME/openvpn"
> openvpn_if="tap"
> cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
> ifconfig_bridge0="addm em1 up"

Setting media options and the like via _aliasesX variables makes no
sense and you don't appear to be doing it so I'm confused by your
question.  The ifconfig_iface_aliasX syntax exists to add IPv4 addresses
to an interface. New ipv4_addrs_iface variable is an attempt to replace
that and nothing more.

-- Brooks