Desired behaviour of "ifconfig -alias"

Brooks Davis brooks at FreeBSD.ORG
Mon Feb 12 17:59:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 06:39:35PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:
>  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>  > > > Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > > FWIW, I still use alias/-alias.  Mainly because that's what has
>  > > > existed historically, and the term "alias" is what is used in
>  > > > reference to rc.conf ifconfig_iface_aliasX entries.
>  > >
>  > > Maybe it would make sense to remove "alias" from the rc.conf
>  > > entries and simply number them.
>  >
>  > ipv4_addrs_<interface> is a much better replacement IMO.  It's easy to
>  > use and doesn't required the hackish pseudo array traversal used by
>  > ifconfig_iface_aliasX.
>
> That might work for simple cases, but how do you specify
> other parameters beside the IPs if you need to?

What do you need to set?  It's sets IP and netmask.  It doesn't handle
broadcast, but I'd be pretty suprised if that's needed often.  What else
is needed?  Axing ifconfig_iface_aliasX is not needed, but reducing the
visiability of the interface in the documentation is probably in order
particularly since it's quite fragile since you have to renumber whenever
you remove an entry.

-- Brooks