Problems with IPv6-less kernel and world

Spil Oss spil.oss at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:00:46 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I have NO_INET6 in my /etc/make.conf and INET6 is commented out in my
kernel config.
Until today I did *not* have WITHOUT_IPV6 in my make.conf
In 6.1 I have been unable to run php 5.2 in combination with
mail/roundcube, it segfaulted apache, 5.1.6_3 was fine.
Since my upgrade to 6.2-RELEASE I was no longer able to connect to the
MSN network using irc/bitlbee_1.0.3_3 (which worked fine on 6.1) and
every account I had took an additional 75 seconds to load (timeout on
the socket) (net.inet.tcp.keepinit: 75000? or net.inet.tcp.keepintvl:
75000?)

After trying all kinds of things (openssl, gnutls), today I found out
that bitlbee had a --ipv6 knob in it's config and was able to run
bitlbee again after fiddling the Makefile. Then I set WITHOUT_IPV6 in
my make.conf and that worked as well.
To my surprise, a newly compiled PHP 5.2 now also works

Should there not be a warning in the examples and man-pages for the
make.conf and GENERIC that you should set WITHOUT_IPV6 if you disable
INET6 and/or set NO_INET6?
Would save idiots like undersigned tripping into this dark hole....

Kind Regards,

Spil.