usb hard disk

Zoran Kolic zkolic at sbb.co.yu
Fri Feb 2 15:52:23 UTC 2007

> 	A new, replacement disk drive is now installed, and is
>     FreeBSD only. It has the standard FBSD boot loader.
> 	When I power on the laptop, I get the ususal F1/F2/F3
>     and F5 prompts (three partitions on the internal disk plus
>     the USB/Firewire disk).

Hm! Looks like boot manager. I have simple loader, with options
to boot this and that via numbers, in frame.

> 	It is not clear if I can boot windoze, as it should have
>     a SCSI driver available to it (although who is to say, given
>     the "customized" laptop installations these days), but it
>     does not boot, despite my telling GRUB to map ad0 to sd0
>     and map sd0 to ad0, which *should* put the windoze drive on
>     the first disk, at least as far as windoze knows. This is
>     repeated in several sites I have searched, but none of them
>     are using the FBSD bootloader initially, so that may be
>     confusing things. I suppose I could install the GRUB boot
>     loader in the ports, but I am going to "correct" the windoze
>     issue with qemu.

Wow! You have little people living inside your computer!
My case is simple. I have existing freebsd on internal drive.
I just need linux on usb hdd and want it to be up using bios.
When comes to that, I will bravely install on external disk and
put linux loader to the first 512 of that drive. Hope it is the
right way to stay untainted.

                                Zoran