[OT] Which one is best MTA for me?

Andy Greenwood greenwood.andy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 11:50:36 PDT 2007

Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> Hi!
>

>> Recently I am considering to move to another MTA. At one time I was
>> wondering what mail server big ISP are running. I can't decide postfix
>> or qmail.
>>
>> Which one is best MTA for me?
>>

> Sendmail? It's the best MTA for me ;-)
>
> Maybe your question could be answered in a more helpful way,
> if you stated
>
> - which MTA you are currently using
> - what you don't like about it, so you want to switch

I agree. we can't determine what's best for you unless you tell us what
you're lacking. the way you phrased your question, you'll just get a
list of what other people like, which may or may not be well suited for
your application.
> We are an ISP and we run Sendmail. Works great. I don't like
> qmail, because for me it's architecture is even more arcane
> than Sendmail's. And it doesn't log all information Sendmail
> does - which is important for us when tracing "lost" mails.
> (remote MTA queue ID, for example)

I work at an ISP and we use sendmail here as well. I use postfix at
home. Both work quite well.