[OT] Which one is best MTA for me?

Clayton Milos clay at milos.co.za
Tue Aug 28 10:47:55 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Chadwick" <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>
To: <freebsd-stable at freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: [OT] Which one is best MTA for me?

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 02:17:43AM +0900, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
>> Recently I am considering to move to another MTA. At one time I was
>> wondering what mail server big ISP are running. I can't decide postfix
>> or qmail.
>
> In my opinion, if you want more features with less
> work/patching/hacking, go with postfix.  If you're uber-paranoid about
> security, go with qmail.
>
>> Which one is best MTA for me?
>
> The only person who's going to be able to answer that question is you.
> Asking an entire mailing list this question is quite humourous.  :-)

I've got to go with Jeremy here.
I use qmail with vpopmail not because it's necessarily the best MTA but
because I know it backwards. I've patched it and tweaked it so it runs like
lightning but all the patching and tweaking tought me the guts of how it
runs. If something goes wrong (which has happened two or three times) I can
get the system back up in a flash, often before people realized that
anything did go wrong.

I've been meaning to get a postfix/mysql mail server up for a few months now
but just haven't had the time. A mate of mine runs it and he swears by it.
>From what I've read it's much less I/O intensive than qmail when it gets
hammered with load but I'm only delivering around 150k emails a month with
mine so it spends most of it's life yawning.
-Clay