panic after removing usb flash disk

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 16 06:33:59 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 04:28:59PM +0400, Artem Kuchin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I don't know if it really belongs to this list, since
> i have only tested on 7-CURRENT, but on the other hand
> 7-CURRENT is soon going to be stable.
>
> So here it goes:
>
> 1) insert usb flash disk
> 2)  usbd detected it
> 3) mount it (mount -t msdosfs /dev/da1s1 /mnt)
> 4) simply pull the  pen drive off the usb slot
> 5) /mnt mount pount is left
> 6) try to unmount it (umount /dev)
>
> I don't know to get all those kernel bright white messages in to a file, so
> i just attached a screenshot ;)

This also happens on RELENG_6.  There was a *very* long discussion about
this behaviour and how to solve it.  It's not specific to USB devices
either.  The bottom line is that solving this issue is not easy, and
that administrators should remember to unmount before pulling a device.

That thread (again, reminder: it's very long):