powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Mon Aug 6 05:28:40 PDT 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007 07:10:21 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > but I have better news and seems my first idea was right, the MB is it
> >
> > I found a tech info on the manufactor's support site telling cpu support
> > up to 4600+ and found a bios for newer cpus including my 5000+
> >
> > so I upgraded the bios and my CPU now works with smp + cpufreq + powerd
> > on both amd64 and i386
> >

> Good to hear. Unfortunately my Mobo's BIOS is already up-to-date, the
> CPU is officially supported and Cool'n'Quiet works dandy in Windows XP

I had a chance to test several MBs with the same 6000+, 5000+ and 4600+ cpu

At the end seems that the problem is mb/hardware related since some
combinations hung even with latest BIOS installed and others not.

I tested newer MATX MBs and the only one which seems to run stable for long
time is the Gigabyte MCP61 chipset. All others are freezing sooner or later
with Athlon 5000 or faster CPUs.

The problem is less with the 4600 CPU almost all boards are fine and with 4200
CPU no problem at all.

The MBs with sis vga onboard are appearently unusable with the higher freq
CPUs. ATI and NVidia are ok.

Xorg appearently do not like HPET enabled because it freezes then with all
this boards I tested.

Anyway, funny is that Fedora 7 which I have on the same HD is not freezing
(same xorg+kde version) what makes me guess that eventual there is some
problem with freebsd's acpi understanding the acpi tables when using this
high freq amd processors.

Only to remember the problem only ocurres when loading powerd and seems the
freeze happens when cpu freq is upshifting not down.

Not sure if it is worth looking deeper into this on 6 and soon I have some
time I will check current first

--

João