named.conf restored to hint zone for the root by default

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Fri Aug 3 17:31:54 PDT 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> I'm getting tired of repeating this. A lot of really smart people
> are lined up on BOTH sides of this issue. You might want to take
> another look at the threads about this on the OARC list (or even
> this list for that matter) and try to have an open mind. Repeating
> "this is a bad idea" over and over again doesn't make it more true.

No, they aren't.  I'm actually quite amazed at your resistance to
hearing what is being said.

Several people (not "a lot") think that slaving the root zone makes
some good operational sense in specific scenarios.  One person
thought that the world would be a better place if it were
operationally possible.

NOBODY thinks that this will work in the real world, today, in a
stable manner.

NOBODY thinks that having *every* home user slaving the root makes
good sense, even if it was operationally possible.

And NOBODY thinks that "just doing it without asking first" was a
good way to handle it.

I'm really not sure why I wasted the keystrokes to write this,
because you've been consistently willing to ignore pretty much
everything said to you so far.  I guess I'm just praying that
perhaps, just maybe, this time you'll start paying attention.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation