named.conf restored to hint zone for the root by default

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Aug 3 02:12:50 PDT 2007

Doug Barton wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > However, I noticed that the "refresh" interval of the root zone is
 > > 1800, i.e. it would be fetched every 30 minutes,
 >
 > No, refresh is how often the master servers are checked for serial
 > number changes.

True, I forgot about that.  Thanks for reminding me.

 > This is why what's suggested below is not a good idea either.

Of course, you're right.

By the way, I have changed from hints to slaves on the DNS
servers for a large server farm (just testing right now;
I might go back to hints if I don't feel it's worth it).
It _seems_ a few applications run with lower latency, but
I'll need to run some benchmarks in order to get some hard
numbers.

I will keep the hints zone on my office workstation and
on my home machine.  There seems to be consensus that
slaving the root is not desirable in these cases.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs
would delete themselves upon execution."
        -- Robert Sewell