Bug in less version 406.

Ted Hatfield ted at pat.io.com
Thu Aug 2 10:44:32 PDT 2007

Can someone verify this bug for me please and suggest a fix.

Error description:

Using less -E or more to display a file that is less than a full page,
while then displaying a nonexistent file causes a segmentation fault.

For example on a newly built system you can

less -E /etc/group bogusfile

This will display the file ending with

/etc/group (file 1 of 2) (END) - Next: bogusfile

when you press space or return it gives

Segmentation fault: 11

If you choose a file that is longer than 1 page the process works as
expected.

For example

less -E /etc/hosts.allow bogusfile

works as expected.

I have confirmed this behaviour on 3 different machines all built within a
week of each other.

The newest machine was built on

FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE (GENERIC) #0: Thu Jul 26 02:20:28 CDT 2007

Thanks,

Ted Hatfield