default dns config change causing major poolpah

Skip Ford skip at menantico.com
Wed Aug 1 21:08:04 UTC 2007

Doug Barton wrote:
> If there is a consensus based on solid technical reasons (not emotion
> or FUD) to back the root zone slaving change out,

If that's a shot at me, you're out of line.  I specifically said I
didn't have an axe to grind with anyone, and I never piled on in
my comments.

The reason I provided *is* purely technical.  The roots can decide
tomorrow to block AXFR requests from FreeBSD users who install
6.3-RELEASE or 7.0-RELEASE.  They may.  They may not.  But they
can.  It's not a production feature and therefore should not be
relied upon.  If the operators state they will support AXFR for
the life of those releases, I have no objections.  Such a
statement would indicate all at once that they don't mind the
traffic and that such a config will not break.

I haven't kept up-to-date with cached(8) but if we're able to
cache lookups now without a name server, we don't even need BIND in
the base system anymore IMO.  We still have very well maintained
ports.

--
Skip