NFS == lock && reboot

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Wed Apr 4 13:59:12 UTC 2007

Quoting Thomas David Rivers <rivers at dignus.com>:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Well - the NFS server is 4.5-RELEASE - a rather old box.
>
> Everything worked fine when the shop was all 4.x boxes, but as soon
> as we put in a 5.x or 6.x box - the NFS clients on those (5.x/6.x) boxes
> locked up hard if rpc.lockd was running on the 4.5-RELEASE server.
>
> On 4.x, rpc.lockd doesn't start automatically - since, as I understand
> it, rpc.lockd had "issues" in that timeframe.  But, one of the developers
> here turned it on hoping to get real locking for /var/mail.
>
> So - I thought my problem might simply be the old rpc.lockd
> implementation in 4.x, and I didn't worry about it (since 4.x is
> out-of-service anyway.)
>
> However, this sounded _so_ familiar - I thought I would pop-up
> and mumble something like a "me too."
>
> rpc.statd isn't running on the 4.5 NFS server.
>

> 	- Dave Rivers -

Hello Dave, and thanks for responding.
Alrighty then. Looks like it's time for a little more experimentation. I'm
going to turn off both rpc.lockd and rpc.statd on this (and the others)
and see if the NFS service(s) work a little more as intended. If it does,
that'll be great. But doesn't cure an /apparently/ ailing NFS. I'll report
back on my findings here.

FWIW for anyone that might be interested; I am willing to make this boxen
a guinie pig/lab rat in an effort to discover what might be wrong in the
NFS family of services in FBSD. If interested, let me know what needs to
be done.

Thanks again for responding.

--Chris

>> Quoting Thomas David Rivers <rivers at dignus.com>:
>>
>> > I have found that if I kill rpc.lockd on the NFS server,
>> > most of the NFS issues I have (including a similar lock-up on
>> > 6.1-RELEASE) go away.
>>
>> Ah hah! I wondered about this. Funny you mention it. The interesting
>> thing was that my most problem boxen is this one here, and it is the
>> /only/ one with:
>>
>> rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
>> rpc_statd_enable="YES"
>>
>> in rc.conf I simply chose these in an effort to keep everything current
>> and accurate. You don't happen to have any experiences keeping rpc.statd
>> running?
>>
>> Thank you for taking the time to reply.
>>
>> --Chris

panic: kernel trap (ignored)