Drives always come up dirty after shutdown on 6.2-PRERELEASE.

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Sat Sep 30 21:43:28 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 15:58 +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 09:44:07AM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > > On my laptop running 6.2-PRERELEASE the drives always mount dirty, which
> > > suggests that they are not being shutdown clean; however the machine
> > > always syncs the disks and switches itself off after a 'shutdown -p
> > > now', and so I'm not sure what it could be.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else seen this?
> >
> > I haven't seen any other reports of this.  Have you tried running a
> > "fsck -f" on the drives?  It's possible there's a latent error that
> > isn't being fixed by bgfsck.
>
> I thought I did; I'll try again now and see what happens.  It's strange
> though because it's every partition.

The /var partition on this 6.1-STABLE box was always mounting dirty,
until I realised that its fstab entry had its Pass# field set to 0:

/dev/ad0s4e             /var            ufs     rw              0       0

If you run fsck ("fsck -n" is sufficient) without specifying a file
system so that it reads the list of which file systems to check from
fstab, does it check all those with a non-zero Pass#?