CALL FOR TESTERS! [Re: 6.2 SHOWSTOPPER - em completely unusable on 6.2]

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu Sep 28 07:14:29 PDT 2006

All,

Attached is my first cut at addressing the problems described in this
thread.  As I discussed earlier, the VM syncer thread is likely starving
the USB interrupt thread.  This causes the shared usb+network interrupt
to remain masked, preventing network interrupts from being delivered,
and thus triggering watchdog timeouts.

This patch only addresses the USB driver.  If your network card is
sharing an interrupt with something other than (or additional to) USB,
this might not work for you.  Also, this patch is just a very rough
proof-of-concept and is not meant for production use.  But I'd like to
get feedback now before I spend more time on this.  If this works then
I'll clean it up and make it suitable for the release, and I'll look at
some of the other drivers like ichsmb.

If this is to be fixed for 6.2, I need lots of feedback ASAP.  So please
do not be shy =-)  The patch is at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~scottl/usb_fastintr.diff

Scott