snd_emu10k1 driver

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Wed Sep 27 06:43:35 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 11:55, Bill Blue wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is this driver known to be 100% working?  I'm running stable 6.2 p6
> right now and have this device driver installed (device sound and
> device snd_emu10k1 compiled into the kernel) for use with a
> Creative Live! card.  Audio outputs work correctly, and the various
> players will produce audio as expected via the PCM control.  Line
> input works as well.  'mixer' works as does KDE's kmix (they track
> each other).  I've also installed the driver via kldload at boot,
> but it makes no difference.
>
> I'm unable to successfully record audio from the line input of this
> Creative Live! card.  Either using the generic /dev/dsp as the
> recording source, or individual devices /dev/dsp0.0 and up, dspW0.0
> and up, or dspr0.4/5.  There's just no audio there.
>
> For the recording software I've used Krec, ffmpeg, darkice and
> streamTranscoder (the latter two feeding an icecast server).
> 'mixer' has its recording device (=rec) set to line in, and I'm
> feeding audio to line in (analog) and spdif in (digital).  There's
> no problem monitoring the 'line in' buss on the outputs, but
> there's no audio on the record output device.
>
> dmesg shows the driver being installed, and cat /dev/sndstat shows
> it is active on pcm0.  If I cat /dev/sndstat with a higher
> verbosity (set with sysctrl) it shows that the record devices
> should be dsp0.4 and dsp0.5, line and mic in respectively.  The man
> page for snd_emu10k1 says the recording devices should be dspr0.4
> and dspr0.5 but only if they're driving a codec directly -- I'm not
> sure what that means exactly.
>
> There's no sound daemons like esound or artsd running during these
> tests.  The ports being tested as an input device seem to open
> correctly and show up as read devices in fstat.
>
> I've also tried the snd_emu10kx driver to no avail.
>
> Has anyone had experience using the Live! sound card and these
> drivers?  And if so, is recording correctly supported?
>
> I have other sound cards available, but none of them seem to have
> driver support in FreeBSD.  One is a Delta (Midiman) 410 with an
> ICE1712 chip, and the other is a Turtle Beach TB400 (not a Santa
> Cruz) with Vortex AU8830A2 chip.  Both cards have analog and
> digital ins and outs.
>
> Anyone with insight on any of this?
>
> --Bill

I thought I'd try this out since I have a SB Live! 5.1, use the
snd_emu10k1 driver and don't run artsd or esound but when I start
krec the record button is greyed out!  Using ffmpeg and the /dev/dsp
device I was able to record just fine from the mic port on the card.

I'm running 6.1-R-p6

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel