ath0 weak connectivity

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Tue Sep 26 08:54:34 PDT 2006

Sten Daniel Sørsdal wrote:
> Sam Leffler wrote:
>> I've lost context about your problem but it appears you're having
>> trouble associating with "trejago" sometimes.  The failed scan shows
>> that your rssi was only 6 when you were having problems which is a very
>> marginal signal so I'm not at all surprised you're having trouble.
>> You've got strong signal ap's on overlapping channels (5 and 7) which
>> are likely drowning the signal on your ap.  I don't see anything the
>> driver could do differently; this seems more an issue of your
>> environment being very busy.  I vaguely recall you were comparing the
>> operation of the freebsd to windows.  If so then perhaps the windows
>> driver was doing better because it switched to XR mode and operating in
>> XR mode you were able to punch through the noise to get to the ap.
>> freebsd does not support XR mode.
>>
>> 	Sam
>>

> Are there any plans to support this?

XR mode, no--at least not in sta mode.

> What about fastframes/bursting? 10Mhz, 5Mhz channels?

Bursting has been there forever.  Fast frames have been in p4 for nearly
2 years; no plans to commit to cvs.  Variable channel width is probably
something to deal with soon; it's been implemented in other code bases
but not in a way I'm happy with.

> WDS? Virtual AP? Is there any place where i can read about this?

I recently did another WDS implementation that's quite nice but depends
on VAP's.  The vap support, as I've said many times, won't come into cvs
until developers appear to take responsibility for legacy wireless
drivers (just too much work for me to do by myself).

> Apologies if any of these are already in the works.

I'd hoped to see some movement on this stuff but w/o help much of the
work done over the past 2 years will continue to sit outside cvs.

	Sam