probs on 6.2-prerelease

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Tue Sep 26 01:52:32 PDT 2006

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 04:54:36PM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
> > > I don't know if this is pre 6.2 specific but I changed my /etc/tty for
> > > device ttyd0 to 'on' from 'off' and when I rebooted the pc I couldn't
> > > login via regular KVM console, just don't get a login.
> > > The more alarming thing was that while it appeared everything was
> > > booting up from the boot up messages on the screen, I couldn't remotely
> > > log into the server in fact it appears the machine didn't bring up the
> > > Ethernet device as I couldn't even ping it.
> > > As soon as I switched the ttyd0 back to 'off' and rebooted it I could
> > > ssh back into the server etc.
> > > I have a regular kernel and 1 jail and samba on this machine.
> >
> > I've been having this for a very long time, if the serial port does
> > not realy exist - i don't know the technical wording for this -,
> >
> > if the kernel detected the sio hardare, but it's not realy
> > wired, then it the kernel will hang when getty will try to open it.
>
> Per chance is the sio* device the kernel detects mapped to acpi0?  :-)

this all i can see, from dmesg:
sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 8250 or not responding, console
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled

and dmesg|grep acpi0
acpi0: <LENOVO Capell00> on motherboard
acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x1008-0x100b on acpi0
acpi_ec0: <Embedded Controller: GPE 0x19> port 0x62,0x66 on acpi0
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_lid0: <Control Method Lid Switch> on acpi0
acpi_button0: <Power Button> on acpi0
pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
acpi_acad0: <AC Adapter> on acpi0
battery0: <ACPI Control Method Battery> on acpi0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0