Upgrading to 6.2 stable - failed to compile kernel

FreeBSD Noob E-4A48424B4B-2473-E at happy-fish.co.uk
Mon Sep 25 14:54:22 PDT 2006

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:34:42 -0700, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net>
wrote:
Thanks Kevin,

>1. Your mail address bounced my attempt at a private reply.
Sorry, I don't uderstand why - it is a timelimited address that should
work!  but it's a facility I don't use that often....  I did have a
look through my log and didn't see a rejection that would tie up with
your message.  Hmmm.
Just a thought: did the bounce message actually come from my
mailserver?

>2. Building a kernel with config is not officially supported. It's at
>   your risk and may not work in all cases. Build a kernel with:
>   cd /usr/src
>   make buildkernel
I was just fightened by all this make.conf stuff!  If everything is in
my kernel file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MINIMUM_PPS, can I just
ignore make.conf?

>3. You need "device mii" if you have any network device that uses it and
>   most do.
Yes, it's included;
| device		miibus		# MII bus support
| # 'device ed' requires 'device miibus'
| device		ed		# NE[12]000, SMC Ultra, 3c503, DS8390 cards

>4. If you update sources, you need to build both world and kernel. (See
>   /usr/src/UPDATING near the end.) If sources are not changes, just
>   re-build the kernel.
I wasn't sure if that was necessary.  I takes about 2 hours to build
the kernel without modules, about 15 hours with modules - I've no idea
how long buildworld is going to take...

Thanks again.

Geoff