Total crash in gdb!.. something is broken!.. Was: Re: FreeBSD with a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC?

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.org
Mon Sep 25 01:50:04 PDT 2006

fOn Sep 25, 2006, at 09:55 , Alban Hertroys wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2006, at 8:36, Johan Ström wrote:
>

>> What exactly does
>>
>> kernel dumps on /dev/mirror/gm0s1b
>>
>> mean? Not that it saves any kernel dumps at least.. But otoh I
>> have no clue why it
>>

> It means exactly that. IIRC kernel dumps are created in swap space
> and on the next boot are moved to ${dumpdir}. I'm pretty certain
> this is explained nicely in the handbook[1].

Probably is, yes I know what it means, I was just pretty upset at the
moment..;)

> AFAIK kernels can only be dumped on real devices, not on virtual
> devices like /dev/mirror/*. In that case your setup is not going to
> get you any dumps.

In earlier FBSD (6.0 i think?) one got an ioctl error when trying to
dumpon to a gmirror device, but if I dont recall wrong this has been
changed since (I dont get an ioctl error anymore at least...)

> Besides that, it is probably not a very good idea to mirror your
> swap. I am certain it is bad for performance, if it'd gain you
> reliability is beyond my knowledge. This has been discussed before,
> you probably want to check the archives.

Performance yes, but I think I've read that it is "best" anyway, if
one of your disks dies, youd dont want to loose half your swap since
that would not be very good if there is anything swapped out to that
disk..