Direct Rendering Manager problems

Andrew Kolchoogin andrew at rinet.ru
Mon Sep 25 01:42:37 PDT 2006

Dear colleagues,

     I've recently discovered some oddity with DRM on FreeBSD.

     Maybe it's a FAQ, but it seems to me that both on-demand kernel
module loading and loading them in /boot/loader.conf is broken on recent
RELENG_6.

     I've an ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 and self-built RELENG_6. When I
started X, X.org server reports that no DRI available. Manual looking
into /dev shows that no /dev/dri directory presents at all. Loading
radeon.ko in /boot/loader.conf doesn't fix the problem. Also no
DRM-related lines appears in dmesg output.

     But problem goes away after adding line "device radeondrm" to
kernel configuration file, rebuilding kernel and rebooting the machine.
Direct Rendering Manager initialises correctly, and node /dev/dri/card0
exists.

     Are there any suggestions for additional testing?
--
     Andrew Kolchoogin.